Friday, August 27, 2010

Theology Alive.

Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you. John 12:35 KJV
I was reading my copy of My Utmost for His Highest today and the topic was on theology of all things.let me give you the ESV version of that verse first. So Jesus said to them, “The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going. John 12:35 ESV So what is Jesus telling us in this verse? 
    Basically to apply knowledge we glean in our lives when we learn of it. and he wants us to learn it! Philippians 4:8-9 states: Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
    Philippians tells us we should pursue what is right, true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, and commendable.That's no tiny list of adjectives there. but Jesus warns if we don't apply what we have learned it will mean nothing.
Oswald Chambers expounds upon it much better then I can. "The second you waive the question of sanctification or upon which any other thing upon which God gave you life, you begin to get dry rot in your spiritual life. Continually bring out the truth into actuality; work it out in every domain, or the very light you have will prove a curse." It's not enough to just learn it, you have to live it. To apply it. Oswald continues saying: "If you say you are sanctified, show it. The experience must be so genuine that it is shown in the life."
That is the true purpose of theology, but unless we live it, we're no better then the Pharisees holding on to our knowledge like it is the thing that saves us. A commentator showed me I should elaborate on this, It is not our application of  theology that saves us, only the grace of God can do so but we must avoid thinking as if our own knowledge and actions can save us.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts. When I read John 12:35 in context of verse 34 it seems pretty clear that Jesus is talking about himself when he references the light. I am interested to know how Oswald understood "the light" to represent knowledge.

    I am not sure if Oswald mentioned it or if you are referencing it yourself, but Phil 4:8-9 is a much more supportive verse to your thesis. I would agree, and think the bible does to, that there is definitely a physical reaction to the love of Christ and indwelling of the Holy Spirit that we experience as Christians.

    My fear though, comes from your last statement.

    "unless we live it, we're no better then the Pharisees holding on to our knowledge like it is the thing that saves us. "

    When I read this I hear that it is not our knowledge that saves us put the practical application of said knowledge, our works, that holds the saving power. The Pharisees were the prime example of living the law after all. Paul himself decries the works of the flesh earlier in Philippians 3:4-6 as rubbish.

    I say these things not to stir anger or bat a bees nest, but out of love. That love which I receive from God that allows me to love others, is the same love that is all the proof I need of his presence in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant by my closing statement was to avoid thinking that by living the law, and applying it, you are saving yourself. The only true thing that can save you is NOT the law, but only by the grace of God. It is one thing to learn it, and another to forgot why you have it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete